Monday, September 20, 2010

C-section vs. um, not a C-section!

So, as a person who has delivered beautiful babies via C-section and vaginally, I can tell you that there are pros and cons to both ways. The pro is that you have a beautiful baby at the end; the cons are pretty much endless! Not really, but it can feel like it at the time. When we found out last week that our baby was breech and that a C-section was on the horizon, I was completely panic-stricken! The whole idea of my sweet child being cut from my body was almost too much to handle. Obviously, you're sedated, but the whole pulling and tugging that you feel during the procedure really sent my imagination reeling. Sadly, that's how I operate - typically what I imagine will happen is far worse than what actually happens. Turns out the IV in my hand was the most painful part, but that's another story. I checked in on Thursday and told them right away that I would appreciate ANYTHING they could give me to take the edge off. They gave me Stadol. I love them!! I laid in that bed and laughed at the military surplus catalog Chris was showing me and laughing at Ellen and was generally in a fantastic mood! LESSON #1: Don't ever be afraid to tell your medical staff what you want. After a while, I was taken to the OR where they prepared me for my spinal block, another aspect of the section that scared me to death. LESSON #2: With a section, you have the choice of an epidural or a more comprehensive spinal block - take the spinal block!! It was uncomfortable, but not as mind-blowing as I feared. More C-section excitement to come . . . :)

See you soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment