Sunday, June 6, 2010

So, I was on my way to the ER when all of a sudden . . .

Yep, it happened! My biennial visit to the emergency room occurred last night (that's every two years - I looked it up!). Boo! About 9:30 p.m., my chest really started to hurt. I have never had heartburn as far as I can remember, so I really don't know what it feels like. I took nine antacid tablets over the next 1.5 hours with no relief. So, I called my OB's answering service and talked to the dr. on call who said if the antacids weren't working, I should go to the ER. Great! That was the last thing I wanted to do! I was feeling worse by the time I got there and, even though there was a waiting room full of people, I was taken back fairly quickly and hooked up to an EKG machine. The tech said it didn't look like I was having a heart attack but that the dr. would have to give the final word. I was then hooked up to heart, BP, and pulse monitors, and the nurse put in an IV port and drew blood. The tech, RN, an dr. took turns coming in and out of my room for the next four hours during which time I was given a GI cocktail - I had asked for something to settle my stomach and was HOPING for Sprite; no such luck! :( I tried to sleep but anyone who has ever been to the ER can back me up on this - those are the LEAST COMFORTABLE beds that exist on Earth!! I think mine kept getting smaller! Near the end of my stay, I told the RN I felt nauseated and he gave me Zofran which, sadly, didn't do the trick because as soon as I got home, I was sick - and I mean sick sick!! But I felt better after that. I got cleaned up and went to bed at 5 a.m. praying that I would feel better later on and that sweet baby would be OK, too! Thankfully, she's been kicking up a storm this morning!!

See you soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment